Monday, January 24, 2005

First "Normal Day"

Today was a “normal day,” if there is such a thing for the beginning of my second week here. There were only a few abnormal things that happened. Last night, Amon and David locked themselves out of their room, so Amon crashed in my room and Dave was in Clay and Scott’s room. We still don’t really know how they locked themselves out. I mean, sure the doors lock behind you, but you would think that they would have learned to always have your keys with you by now. Oh well, I think they learned their lesson...the hard way.

I had studio from 9:30 until 12:30. Each group met for a little while with Diego to talk over each of the ideas. I am in a group with Ashley Dias and Jennifer Kersey. When Diego was talking about different ways to present our photography, he mentioned something about creating an installation (a kind of 3D representation using a space...kind of artsy) as one of the ideas. For some reason, I latched onto that idea because it was something that I’ve never done before and I thought it would be cool. I mentioned it to our group, about kind of creating a box that we could display our photos in different layers, etc, so that it looks different depending on how you look at it. Jennifer was like “I really like your idea!” and then she starting expanding on it like crazy. It was great. My photography focussed on grafitti and the urban lifestyle regarding that. Jennifer focussed on sculpture and Ashley on sacred architecture. Ashley created a diagram that showed the relation of each of the different areas and even though some of them seem no not really be connected, they are. We kept piling on ideas and came up with a pretty cool idea. We told Diego about it and it seemed like he liked the idea (we were kind of rushing in our explanation because by the time he got to our group, there were only a few minutes left of class). He added to our overall idea and consequently gave us more work to do than what was already on the table. I mean, it’s fine, but it’s Monday and we only have one more work day before we present to the class. And then the following day we present to the other schools. It’s going to be a busy week...but interesting at the same time.

After that class we had 4 hours of Spanish. During the last 30 minutes to an hour, Antonio took us to La Boqueria, a market, that’s located on Las Ramblas...not too far from our school. It was a neat marketplace. People were selling fruits and vegetables, meat, etc. When I was walking in, something in particular caught my eye. It was candy! And a lot of it. I spent a good 10 minutes trying to figure out what I wanted. I got 100 grams of candy (which isn’t that much at all) and savored each piece as I walked to the Metro to go home. Scott S. and I were the only ones to go back to the apartment...the rest went to a Chinese restaurant. Scott and I went to SuperSol and got some groceries. Again, I spent only like 3.6 Euros for food for a while. I got some type of rice meal that you cook on a skillet, some more noodles (even though I haven’t finished the first bag yet), some more juice, and some bread. I waited a little while before I started cooking because it was still “early” and I knew that if I had eaten right away, I’d just be hungry later. So I cooked and ate, and now I’m just lounging around, going through pictures and stuff.


Post a Comment

<< Home